Important Information: The Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment has transitioned to a fully remote model of engagement. Assistance will continue uninterrupted via email, phone, and our secure document uploads. For more information see our message about continuing operations remotely

We encourage you to review our Financial Aid FAQ for the most up to date information about financial aid. For more information specific to the impact of coronavirus across the University, please view Cornell's Coronavirus FAQ

Please be mindful of phishing attempts regarding CARES Act Funding and Student Employment opportunities. To verify phishing attempts, please reference the Cornell IT Security Phish Bowl. Cornell employers will not send electronic payroll checks by email and will not ask students to make gift card purchases on their behalf.

Continuing Students - U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents

2021-22 Financial Aid Application Process Requirements

As a returning student who completed an application for institutional aid in 2020-21, the only application you need to submit at this time is the 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The upper class financial aid deadline is March 1, 2021. Please be sure to complete your FAFSA by the deadline in order to have your institutional aid offer in place before the fall bill is issued in July.

Completing the FAFSA 

  • Access the 2021-22 FAFSA.
  • Cornell’s FAFSA code is 002711
  • When possible, we strongly recommend linking to the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) when completing your FAFSA. This tool allows students and parents to transfer their IRS tax return information directly into the FAFSA, saving you time and eliminating the need for having your tax documents on hand. In many cases, if you use DRT you will not need to provide a copy of your or your parents' tax returns to our office.
  • Please note that the FAFSA Expected Family Contribution may be different from the Cornell Family Contribution.
  • Students wishing to apply for federal financial aid only (no institutional grant consideration) should complete the FAFSA and contact us at to indicate that you wish to apply only for federal financial aid. This email must come from the student directly; parents are not able to make this request.
  • NY residents can complete their state aid application at the end of the FAFSA. Be sure to use the correct HESC code.
    • HESC Endowed code: 0175 (Eng, A&S, AAP, Business-Hotel)
    • HESC State code: 0174 (CALS, HE, ILR, Business-Dyson)

Next Steps After FAFSA Completion 

Unless specifically requested, you do not need to submit the CSS Profile or additional documentation at the present time. If supporting documentation is needed, you will be notified via your Cornell email and the Student Center To Do List. Please pay close attention to any instructions received from our office and respond as soon as possible.

Financial Aid will be sending aid notifications to continuing aid applicants in late spring. We are in the process of reviewing eligibility and realize that many families are experiencing challenges resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. If your family has experienced significant changes in financial circumstances, please review the appeal application information

Instructions for first-time aid applicants or additional requests made by the Financial Aid Office

In the event that we need additional documentation, we may ask you to submit verification documents through IDOC, and/or complete the CSS Profile and submit tax documents through IDOC. You will only be able to submit materials to IDOC after you have received an email from the College Board with IDOC submission instructions.

Continuing students who are first-time aid applicants will need to complete the additional aid requirements. Select the dropdowns below for further instructions.

Completing the CSS Profile (Custodial and Noncustodial Parents)

  • CSS Profile is found at
  • Cornell’s undergraduate CSS Code is 2098 (Cornell Vet: 2822, Cornell Law: 2099)
  • The registration step has been eliminated; applicant information will be saved from the moment you first interact with the CSS Profile.
  • If parents are divorced, separated, or were never married, your noncustodial parent will need to complete a separate CSS Profile. Each parent will access their CSS Profile with different College Board log-in credentials.
    • College Board recommends that the student and the custodial parent start the CSS Profile application first. Although the noncustodial parent can start the application at any time, the noncustodial parent will not be able to complete the application until the student selects a college that requires the CSS Profile from the noncustodial parent.
    • To keep financial information private, the student and parents should not share their College Board account passwords with each other.

College Board has created interactive instructions to assist you.

Prepare and submit your IDOC materials

You will only be able to submit materials to IDOC after you have received an email from the College Board with IDOC submission instructions.

IDOC is a service that processes aid application materials. Use the IDOC upload for fastest service and DO NOT submit duplicate copies of materials to Cornell.

Log in to, complete the requested family information, and follow submission instructions. Providing Social Security Numbers when prompted on the College Board portal assists with accurate and timely processing. SSNs are securely transmitted and used to identify which family member the forms belong to. The following materials should be submitted to IDOC:

  • Federal Verification Documents, while listed as a requirement on IDOC, should be submitted with IDOC materials ONLY IF the student was selected for federal verification following completion of the FAFSA.
  • 2019 signed federal tax return(s) for custodial parent(s)

    If your parent(s) did not file a federal tax return for 2019, complete the IDOC non-filing statement for parents and submit with W2s or 1099s. This form is available through the IDOC Dashboard. Parents earning income outside the US will complete the International IDOC non-filing statement and submit with W2s, 1099s, or a statement of earnings from the employer(s).
  • 2019 signed federal tax return(s) for noncustodial parent(s), if parents are divorced, separated, or were never married
    • If the noncustodial parent is re-married, the current spouse’s income information is also required
    • Noncustodial parent taxes may be submitted to Cornell (if not included with the IDOC materials)

Tax Return Requirements:

  • Must be signed copies* of returns actually filed with the IRS
  • Must include all schedules, such as A, B, C, C-EZ, E, and/or F
  • Must include all W2 forms
  • Must include business returns: if either of your parents has an interest in a business or farm, submit the business tax return for each business and/or farm. In the U.S., this refers to the full 1065 Partnership Return, 1120S Corporate Return, and 1120 Corporate Return, along with K-1 Statements
  • Must include trust or estate documents: if you or your parents are the beneficiary of an estate or trust, submit the full Trust Tax Return and a letter explaining the contents of the trust or estate, value, and accessibility
  • Foreign tax filers: please provide us with translated documentation verifying your parents’ annual income for the most recently completed tax year (or the International Parent Non-Filer Statement)

* In place of signed taxes you may:

  • Preferred: The best way to verify income is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) that is part of FAFSA.
  • You may also submit a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript for the 2019 income tax year. You can request a tax transcript through the IRS website or by calling 1-800-908-9946.

Documentation of Permanent Residency (if applicable)

If you are a non-US citizen but have permanent residency or are an eligible non-citizen:

Eligible non-citizens must provide documentation of permanent residency or citizenship status.  Acceptable forms of original documentation include:

  • Alien Registration Card (I-551)


  • Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) with all endorsements and temporary I-155 stamp that has not expired and I797 (Notice of Action) showing that you have applied for permanent residency

If you are unable to present your citizenship documentation to our office in person, please complete the Citizenship Affidavit, have it notarized, and return it with a copy of your citizenship documentation. If you are an eligible non-citizen, be sure that your FAFSA indicates that you are an eligible non-citizen and has your Alien Registration Number.

When applicable, documentation will be sent to USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services) for review and determination of eligibility for federal student aid.