Additional Aid Possibilities

Undergraduate students

There are a few reasons that you may need to request additional financial aid. Most of the time additional aid is awarded in the form of loan. If you have any questions, please call or visit to speak with one of our staff members.

Budget Increase Specifics

Below are some typical educational costs that are allowable through a budget increase (Step 2 on the Undergraduate Student Loan Request Form. If we have included an item in your estimated cost of attendance, we will award additional aid for a budget increase for the amount above what we included in the estimated cost of attendance. You can find your exact estimated cost of attendance in your financial aid award summary on Student Center.


  • Books and supplies 
  • Architecture fees, studio fees, lab fees, etc.
  • Physical education class fees
  • Computer: one time loan up to $2,000 for one device (e.g. computer, tablet); warranty and necessary software can be included. Funds are disbursed to your bursar account and any outstanding charges are paid before a refund can be issued.

Required documentation:

  • Documentation of your expense if it's not charged on your bursar account.
  • Invoices or receipts for all books and supplies required for each course.
  • Computer: invoice or documentation showing an estimate of cost OR receipt showing amount paid.


  • Student health plan (minus the health-related expenses included in the financial aid budget), dental, and vision plans 
  • Medical expenses (not covered by insurance)
  • Fitness center membership

Required documentation:

  • We can see expenses charged on your bursar account - you don't need to provide any documentation for these expenses.
  • Bill from doctor and/or provider of services and documentation from insurance company of what will be covered by insurance.
  • Receipts or bills for medication, optical, or dental expenses; the bill must indicate amount not covered by insurance.


  • Townhouse, single room, or super-single room on campus
  • Program House fees
  • Off-campus housing costs solely in the student's name (9 months only): rent, heat/electric, water/sewer, internet

Required documentation:

  • We can see expenses charged on your bursar account - you don't need to provide any documentation for these expenses.
  • Copy of lease or copies of canceled rent checks.
  • Copies of utility bills specifying your portion (if claiming this expense).

Other (not all-inclusive)

  • Climbing wall pass
  • Omni-ride pass
  • Winter clothing (one time only, up to $400 for new students from warm climates)
  • Child care (you must be the custodial parent of a dependent child)
  • Any special circumstances should be discussed with a financial aid counselor.

Items not eligible

The following items are NOT eligible because we consider them to be non-essential expenses, so they are either part of your personal/miscellaneous budget or are extra expenses.

  • laundry money
  • dining administrative fee (included in the budget)
  • City Bucks, Big Red Bucks
  • housing security deposits
  • summer housing
  • Commencement housing
  • fraternity/sorority expenses
  • athletic sports equipment and related expenses
  • travel expenses
  • Kaplan, Princeton Review, or other test prep courses
  • cable/satellite TV expenses
  • cell phone expenses
  • data usage and Net print fees
  • CU ID card replacement
  • parking fines and vehicle-related expenses
  • library fines
  • Graduate school applications (students from low income families can apply for fee waivers)
  • Job interview costs (travel, clothing, etc.)

Graduate Students

Graduate students may be eligible for additional loan if their actual expenses are greater than their estimated cost of attendance. Complete the Graduate Student Budget Increase Form.