Summer FWS Application

The 2022 summer employment term is June 2, 2022 through August 10, 2022. Summer employment may start no earlier than June 2, 2022 and end no later than August 10, 2022.

This application for Federal Work Study funding is for undergraduate students who work for Cornell University.

In order to qualify for Summer Federal Work Study, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You have secured a paid position for Summer 2022;
  • You have submitted a FAFSA application for the 2021-2022 academic year and the 2022-2023 academic year demonstrating federal financial need;
  • You have pre-enrolled full time for Fall 2022;
  • You were registered full time for Spring 2022; and
  • You are not enrolled in 6 or more credit hours for Summer Session at the time of employment.

Undergraduate students who earn FWS during Summer 2022, must bring back 50% of their gross earnings to put toward their educational expenses for the 2022-23 award year. This will be reflected as Estimated Summer FWS Earnings on your award. In the event that your job related expenses are greater than 50% of your gross earnings you may notify us of your situation and provide documentation of expenses through our Undergraduate Student Appeal Form. Job-related expenses are costs you incurred because of your employment. Examples of these expenses include uniforms and transportation to and from work. We will review your information and notify you of any adjustments made.

Please see the information below regarding how to apply, based on your intended place of summer employment.

On Campus Employer:

If you are working in a paid position for Cornell University and you will not be enrolled in 6 or more Summer Session Course credits at the time of employment, you will complete the Summer Federal Work Study Application. If you will be enrolled in 6 or more credits, you will need to complete the Summer Session Aid Application.

Community Work-Study Program:

If your potential employer is a non-profit community service agency in Ithaca or close proximity to Ithaca, you must first complete the Summer Federal Work Study Application. Once the FWS award has been received, contact your employing agency and the Community Work Study Program Coordinator at to start the hiring process. You can learn more about the Community Work Study Program through the Cornell Public Service Center.