Veterans Education Benefits
If you will be receiving VA benefits, we will need to receive a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. Please submit it to our office via Secure Online Upload or fax to 607.255.6329.
Detailed information on the following federal veteran programs can be found at: http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/
- Post-9/11 GI Bill – Chapter 33
- Yellow Ribbon Program – Supplement to Post-9/11 (read the below section)
- Montgomery GI Bill – Chapter 30
- Survivors & Dependents Assistance Program – Chapter 35
- Montgomery GI Bill – Selective Reserves – Chapter 1606
- Montgomery GI Bill – Reserves Educational Assistance Program – Chapter 1607
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Veteran’s Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP)
New York State offers a variety of scholarships to veterans, which can be found at: https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid/nys-grants-scholarships-awards/veterans-tuition-awards.html
- Veterans Tuition Awards
- Military Service Recognition Scholarship
- NYS Regents Award for Children of Deceased & Disabled Veterans
- Recruitment Incentive & Retention Program
Yellow Ribbon Benefits
The undergraduate and graduate degree-granting colleges of Cornell University participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program, the supplement to the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill education benefit. Under the program, Cornell and the VA will combine to provide the difference between the student's Cornell tuition and the national cap on the benefit ($21,970.46 as of 8/1/2016).
Fall semester tuition in Arts & Sciences = $26,306
Fall Post-9/11 Tuition Benefits = $21,970.46
Fall Yellow Ribbon Benefits from Cornell = $2,167.77
Fall Yellow Ribbon Benefits from VA = $2,167.77
Spring semester tuition Arts & Sciences = $26,306
Spring Post-9/11 Tuition Benefits = $0
Spring Yellow Ribbon Benefits from Cornell = $13,153
Spring Yellow Ribbon Benefits from VA = $13,153
The tuition funds are sent directly to the school.
In addition, the VA will provide a monthly housing allowance for approximately 8 full months (spread out over 10 months). The benefit is paid at the rate of the Basic Housing Allowance for the zip code 14850, E-5 with dependent.
The VA also provides a book and supplies stipend of up to $1,000.
The housing allowance and the book stipend are sent directly to the student.
To apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program for undergraduates:
- Complete the Yellow Ribbon Program application
- Submit the application along with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA to our office via Secure Online Upload or fax to 607.255.6329.