Cornell Grants & Scholarships
Cornell University Grant
Cornell Grants are available to students with financial need, as determined by the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment. The aid comes from several sources - university endowments, alumni gifts, and a general fund. Things to keep in mind:
- There is no minimum or maximum amount of grant awarded.
- There is no standard “income bracket” or cut-off for grant aid recipients; eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis.
- University grants are awarded after non-university funds, work-study, and loans.
- You are automatically considered for these funds when you apply for financial aid; there is no separate application process.
Students who are eligible for Cornell University Grants may also be eligible to receive a named endowed scholarship. Especially meaningful, these scholarships are established by individuals who care deeply about Cornell and its students. Some donors are Cornell alumni, who were themselves the beneficiaries of student aid. An endowed scholarship can establish a direct connection between you and the donor; most donors welcome the opportunity to meet or correspond with the students who receive their awards. Note that:
- A named endowed scholarship does not change the total amount of financial aid awarded.
- Funds awarded through endowed scholarships replace the amount of any Cornell grant or self-help component (loans and work-study) on a dollar-for-dollar basis based on fund restrictions.
- Scholarships are awarded to students who meet the criteria specific to each fund.
- You are automatically considered for these funds when you apply for financial aid. Selection is based on a student’s match with a donor’s criteria. There is no separate application process, however, we encourage you to complete our Endowed Scholarship Questionnaire in order to help match students with donors' criteria. Note that in order to complete the questionnaire you must be currently enrolled, or newly matriculated, and have a valid NetID and 7-digit Cornell ID number.