Federal Parent PLUS Loan
The Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents of Undergraduate Students, or PLUS loan, offers reasonable, fixed interest rates, generous qualifying credit criteria, and flexible repayment plans. Credit approval is required, and you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
How to Apply
- Complete the FAFSA.
- Determine how much debt you can afford by completing the CollegeBoard Parent Loan Repayment Calculator.
- Complete the Federal Parent PLUS Loan Application. To complete the application, you will need the following:
- Your Social Security number and your student's Social Security number
- Your federal PIN number (the one you used to sign your student's FAFSA)
- NOTE: The application begins with a credit check. After you sign in to studentaid.gov, click "Request a Federal Direct PLUS Loan" and complete the online parent credit application.
- Credit Checks are good for 180 days
Determining your loan period:
If your student is planning to be enrolled for both fall and spring semesters, we recommend that you apply for the fall/spring loan term. The summer loan term cannot be combined with other terms.
If you choose a fall/spring loan period, the amount of the loan will be split equally between the two semesters; so the disbursement of a $10,000 fall/spring loan would be $5,000 for the fall semester and $5,000 for the spring semester.
Term Period Application Opens Fall/Spring August - May May 1 Fall only August - December May 1 Spring only January - May October 1 Summer only May - August April 1
- Complete the Master Promissory Note for Parents online, if this is the first time you have requested a parent loan for your student.