Important Information: The Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment has transitioned to a fully remote model of engagement. Assistance will continue uninterrupted via email, phone, and our secure document uploads. For more information see our message about continuing operations remotely

We encourage you to review our 2020-21 Financial Aid FAQ for the most up to date information about financial aid. For more information specific to the impact of coronavirus across the University, please view Cornell's Coronavirus FAQ

Please be mindful of phishing attempts regarding CARES Act Funding and Student Employment opportunities. To verify phishing attempts, please reference the Cornell IT Security Phish Bowl. Cornell employers will not send electronic payroll checks by email and will not ask students to make gift card purchases on their behalf.

Promissory Note & Entrance Counseling

All loans require that you sign a promissory note. This note is signed by the borrower when taking out a loan. By signing the promissory note, the borrower promises to repay the loan. The promissory note also includes important language about your rights and responsibilities as a borrower.

Federal and Cornell University loans require a Master Promissory Note (MPN). You sign the MPN once, the first time you borrow. This will allow you to borrow more from the same loan source while you are in school, without having to sign a promissory note each year.

Go to the following links to sign the promissory note electronically for your:

Entrance Counseling

If you decide to take out a Federal Direct Loan as a part of your educational investment, managing the debt you incur is a major responsibility. To ensure that you understand this responsibility and the obligation you are assuming, the Federal Government requires you to participate in loan counseling, called “Entrance Counseling,” prior to receiving a direct loan.

You can conduct your Entrance Counseling session online. You must have a student FAFSA ID to complete the process. Entrance counseling is required before your loan can be disbursed. Start your session now.

If you’ve forgotten or need to change your ID, visit the Federal Student Aid ID website.